Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Why I do not recommend London.

Planning a trip to London? You might want to reconsider. I went to London this past summer and wished I had not. People warned me that the city was expensive but I did not listen. I convinced myself I could do it on a budget and it would be worth it. The three reasons I would not go back are price, food, and weather.
Most cities in Europe are expensive but London takes the cake. I stayed in a small budget hotel that was a supposed steal by Londons standard, $200.00 a night. I know hotel rooms are small in Europe but this one was microscopic. You walked into the room, maybe two feet and hit the bed. Within the two feet was your area for your suit case. The bathroom was an exact replica of an R.V. bathroom, including the smell. In addition, you will spend a pretty penny on tourist activities. For example, the double decker city bus tour charges twice as much as the same bus tour in Paris. Also, if you need to catch an early flight out of Heathrow you will have to take a taxi, as I did, at close to $100.00. The reason being, the underground does not run early in the morning.
Besides the food being outrageous, it ranks bottom on my list for taste. Even the fish and chips which they are known for, was awful. It could be due to the fact that I was trying to save money, but I did not have one good meal there. I gave up and decided one night to try McDonald's. I was tired of spending money on terrible food. Of course, that was worse.
The weather in London is often dreary and wet. The whole time I was there, it rained. If you are lucky enough to have blue skies, the city will look beautiful. I still thought the city was amazing looking through the rain, but nice weather would have helped. The problem is there are few fair weather days in London.
Think carefully before going to London because you can travel to better places in Europe for less money. I spent four days there and figured later that I could have spent eight days in Italy for the same price. Only in Italy the food and weather would have been better.

3 comments:

The Aggressor said...

I been to London and wow, it is expensive, including now. Almost everything is double or even more! I would go back to London if i really really want to go, in this case 1 out of 1000 chances i will go back.

Tyler said...

With the dollar way down in comparsion the euro and the pound it isn't really smart to be going to Europe at all right now is it? Last I read the euro was something like 1.5 times the dollar and the pound was 2 times the dollar. Like the aggressor said double. I have always wanted to go to London, but I guess your just giving me another reason not too. I'm sure like anywhere if you dont have to worry about money your experience will be far different. Anyways good advise.

tgbjrmontara said...

i really love your whole concept in this blog, i would really like to hear about any more places in europe that you have gone to...keep posting..